An industry (and opportunity) like no other
Responsible for enabling over 90% of global trade, maritime touches every part of our lives. Quite simply, without commercial ships, half the world would freeze, and half the world would starve.
The shipping industry is also responsible for a significant proportion of the global climate change crisis, and therefore a substantial proportion of the solutions that are so urgently needed. More than three percent of global carbon dioxide emissions can be attributed to ocean-going ships. This is an amount comparable to major carbon-emitting countries.
Following a decade of rapid growth, StratumFive now services in excess of 12,000 vessels. As a leading maritime tech company, we therefore have a key part to play in unlocking every possible efficiency, reducing fuel consumption and lowering vessel emissions through digital innovation – epitomised by our groundbreaking new ‘Podium’ platform.
StratumFive also plays a critical role in protecting the safety of seafarers, cargo, and the marine environment, by providing expert routing advisory services directly to the vessel via our new 24/7 New York meteorological operations centre.
Working in maritime is exciting, rewarding, interesting, and unlike any other industry. With the sector expected to double in size to $3trn by 2030, StratumFive are looking for the next generation of innovators and problem solvers to join our mission and take pride in helping shape the future of our planet, and this most important of industries.
About our Business and Technology
Our fast paced development team works with cutting edge technologies that solve real-world problems that include:
- interfacing with data-feeds from satellites, on-ship devices, governmental authorities
- storing and analyzing vast amounts of data (25+ million daily GPS positions)
- visualizing daily global weather-data (50 GB p/ day)
- correlating datasets to provide both historic analysis as well as neartime predictions
- creating powerful and effective UI/UX that drive our platform and services
- leveraging AI/ML to improve and product and services
Job Role and Description
As Back-End Developer, you will have an instrumental role in the development of our core suite of products. Our innovative product suite consists mainly of HTML5 / webapps that have been designed to operate onboard vessels, mobile applications, desktops, and large kiosk displays. As Back-End developer, you will be developing APIs, sophisticated algorithmic processes, optimised data-models, geospatial technologies, well-defined APIs, complex batch ETL/ELT processes, and most importantly working with bigdata, analytics, and solving all those associated challenges.
You will contribute to all technical discussions with insight and pragmatism, and help drive the development of our customer facing products by combining technical skill, commercial awareness, and entrepreneurial spirit.
Salary Range: £45K to £50K
- Work closely with the Lead BE developer and management to develop new features for the company’s suite of products
- Participate in deployments on a regular scheduled basis using internal CI/CD pipelines
- Participate in code-reviews and provide constructive feedback to BE team
- Participate in self-directed learning as well as team-specific training
- Learn, embrace, and understand the Maritime Industry
- Contribute to our “solution-driven dev culture”
- Expected to have regular working hours compatible with UK time zone
- Be able to attend periodic meetings in UK office
- Languages: proficient in C#/.NET Core
- Experience working with SQL (PostGIS a huge plus)
- Familiarity with cloud-native technologies on AWS (preferred) and/or GCP, Azure
- Familiarity developing ETL/ELT data processing pipelines
- Familiarity working with geospatial and time-series datasets
- Familiarity with K8S and/or Docker, Cloud-based databases, and Cloud-based monitoring tools
- Depth of knowledge with OLAP, Data Lakes and the best approaches for implementation
- Proficiency with other languages such Java, Python, Go is a bonus
- A genuine “can do” attitude
- See challenges as opportunities more than obstacles
- Believe in iteration over perfection
- Would rather spend an extra 25 minutes of your day to hand-off completed job rather than delay the whole team the next morning
- Would see a missing detail in a specification as an chance to be self-directed rather than the chance to put the task on-hold
What's in it for you?
We believe we offer an appealing work life balanced package to attract and retain the most motivated team players. Aside from a competitive salary, we also offer a range of unique additional benefits:
- Up to 33 days annual leave
- Annual personal performance bonus
- Annual company performance bonus
- Regular performance reviews
- Flexible work-location from office, Home or “Rome”
- Regular internal hackathon events
- sponsored recreational holidays
- sponsored continuous professional development
- supported personal charitable challenges.