An industry (and opportunity) like no other
Responsible for enabling over 90% of global trade, maritime touches every part of our lives. Quite simply, without commercial ships, half the world would freeze, and half the world would starve.
The shipping industry is also responsible for a significant proportion of the global climate change crisis, and therefore a substantial proportion of the solutions that are so urgently needed. More than three percent of global carbon dioxide emissions can be attributed to ocean-going ships. This is an amount comparable to major carbon-emitting countries.
Following a decade of rapid growth, StratumFive now services in excess of 12,000 vessels. As a leading maritime tech company, we therefore have a key part to play in unlocking every possible efficiency, reducing fuel consumption and lowering vessel emissions through digital innovation – epitomised by our groundbreaking new ‘Podium’ platform.
StratumFive also plays a critical role in protecting the safety of seafarers, cargo, and the marine environment, by providing expert routing advisory services directly to the vessel via our new 24/7 New York meteorological operations centre.
Working in maritime is exciting, rewarding, interesting, and unlike any other industry. With the sector expected to double in size to $3trn by 2030, StratumFive are looking for the next generation of innovators and problem solvers to join our mission and take pride in helping shape the future of our planet, and this most important of industries.
About our Business and Technology
- interfacing with data-feeds from satellites, on-ship devices, governmental authorities
- storing and analyzing vast amounts of data (25+ million daily GPS positions)
- visualising global weather-data (50 GB p/ day)
- correlating datasets to provide both historic and neartime predictions
- creating powerful and effective UI/UX that drive our platform and services
- leveraging AI/ML to improve our product and services
Job Role and Description
As CloudOps Engineer, you will be responsible for managing and automating our multi-cloud environments. You will be responsible for writing customized scripts that plug in into our CI/CD pipelines, implement complete IaC coverage, and tune our Kubernetes Clusters to be as fast and cost efficient as possible
You will demonstrate a strong commitment to working collaboratively in a team, make meaningful contributions in all technical discussions, approach all problems with an enthusiasm for pragmatic solutions, an appreciation for commercial awareness, and an embrace of the entrepreneurial spirit.
- Manage and maintain CI/CD tools within team
- Work with team to perform regular deployments (dev, stage, prod)
- Ensure all cloud-based environments are locked-down and secured
- Apply software updates to all cloud-based environments
- Develop scripts to automate and enhance our products and internal processes
- Perform root cause analysis for production errors
- Make daily contributions to our “solution-driven dev culture”
Technical Requirements & Skills
- 2+ years of experience with K8S / Docker
- 2+ years of DevOps experience or similar role
- Strong aptitude with scripting languages such as Python, Ruby, or others.
- Direct hands-on experience with AWS and/or GCP
- Solid understanding of CI/CD
- Experience with IaC platforms such as Terraform
- Problem-solving attitude
- Must be able to periodically attend UK or US office on request
- Must be available for working hours compatible with UK development team
- A genuine “can do” attitude
- See challenges as opportunities more than obstacles
- Believe in iteration over perfection
- Would rather spend an extra 25 minutes of your day to hand-off completed job rather than delay the whole team the next morning
- Would see a missing detail in a specification as a chance to be self-directed rather than the chance to put the task on-hold
What's in it for you?
We believe we offer an appealing work life balanced package to attract and retain the most motivated team players. Aside from a competitive salary, we also offer a range of unique additional benefits:
- Up to 35 days annual leave
- Flexible work-location from office, home or “roam”
- Regular internal hackathon events
- Department sponsored recreational holidays
- Company sponsored continuous professional development
- Company supported personal challenges