An industry (and opportunity) like no other
Responsible for enabling over 90% of global trade, maritime touches every part of our lives. Quite simply, without commercial ships, half the world would freeze, and half the world would starve.
The shipping industry is also responsible for a significant proportion of the global climate change crisis, and therefore a substantial proportion of the solutions that are so urgently needed. More than three percent of global carbon dioxide emissions can be attributed to ocean-going ships. This is an amount comparable to major carbon-emitting countries.
Following a decade of rapid growth, StratumFive now services in excess of 12,000 vessels. As a leading maritime tech company, we therefore have a key part to play in unlocking every possible efficiency, reducing fuel consumption and lowering vessel emissions through digital innovation – epitomised by our groundbreaking new ‘Podium’ platform.
StratumFive also plays a critical role in protecting the safety of seafarers, cargo, and the marine environment, by providing expert routing advisory services directly to the vessel via our new 24/7 New York meteorological operations centre.
Working in maritime is exciting, rewarding, interesting, and unlike any other industry. With the sector expected to double in size to $3trn by 2030, StratumFive are looking for the next generation of innovators and problem solvers to join our mission and take pride in helping shape the future of our planet, and this most important of industries.
About our Business and Technology
Our fast paced development team works with cutting edge technologies that solve real-world problems that include:
- interfacing with data-feeds from satellites, on-ship devices, governmental authorities
- storing and analyzing vast amounts of data (25+ million daily GPS positions)
- visualizing daily global weather-data (50 GB p/ day)
- correlating datasets to provide both historic analysis as well as neartime predictions
- creating powerful and effective UI/UX that drive our platform and services
- leveraging AI/ML to improve and product and services
Job Role and Description
Roles & Responsibilities
As Cloud Architect you will occupy a significant position within the development team and business to shape our core suite of products. While our innovative product suite consists of several HTML5 / webapps, behind the scenes are a multitude of complex data aggregation services, high-velocity data feeds, optimised high-volume data-stores, all operating under a multi-zone clustered cloud environment. As Cloud Architect you will be responsible to expand on our existing system designs and more importantly design our next-gen versions to meet out ambitious product plans. You will need to consider cloud-op costs, resource allocations, total cost of ownership and come up with innovative solutions for a rapidly growing company that pushes the technical boundaries with every new feature.
You will demonstrate strong leadership qualities, contribute to all technical discussions with insight and pragmatism, and drive the development of our customer facing products by combining technical vision, commercial awareness, and entrepreneurial spirit.
Salary Range: £60K to £70K
- Design robust, cohesive, and innovative cloud-native architectural solutions for our core suite of products
- Become an active member of the leadership team, supporting corporate responsibilities/objectives and promoting both organisational level performance and continuous improvement
- Ensure system designs are fit for purpose and fully meet business requirements
- Provide leadership and guidance to a growing team of developers spread across several geographic locations (all within same time zone)
- Work closely with the CTO and team-leads to build rolling 12-month roadmap of new technology and services
- Participate in code-reviews and provide constructive feedback to development team
- Educate and inspire development team on the latest cloud-native solutions, tools, and approaches to solve problems
- Leading your team to identify gaps in platform capability
- Research new technologies and tools that improve our products and internal development processes
- Engage in hands-on development work as required
- Learn, embrace, and understand the Maritime Industry
- Promote a “solution-driven dev culture”
- Expected to have regular working hours compatible with UK time zone
- Be able to attend periodic meetings in UK office
- Minimum 6 years of coding experience
- Languages: proficient in C#/.NET Core (other comparable language proficiency potentially acceptable)
- Expertise within cloud-native technologies on AWS (preferred) and/or GCP, Azure
- Strong experience developing solutions involving Big data, OLAP, ETL/ELT, Data lakes
- Experience working with geospatial and time-series datasets
- Experience working with SQL and traditional RDBMS
- Experience with K8S and/or Docker, Cloud-based databases, and Cloud-based monitoring tools
- A genuine “can do” attitude
- See challenges as opportunities more than obstacles
- Believe in iteration over perfection
- Would rather spend an extra 25 minutes of your day to hand-off completed job rather than delay the whole team the next morning
- Would see a missing detail in a specification as an chance to be self-directed rather than the chance to put the task on-hold
What's in it for you?
We believe we offer an appealing work life balanced package to attract and retain the most motivated team players. Aside from a competitive salary, we also offer a range of unique additional benefits:
- Up to 33 days annual leave
- Regular performance reviews
- Flexible work-location from office, Home or “Rome”
- Regular internal hackathon events
- sponsored recreational holidays
- sponsored continuous professional development
- supported personal charitable challenges.