An industry (and opportunity) like no other
Responsible for enabling over 90% of global trade, maritime touches every part of our lives. Quite simply, without commercial ships, half the world would freeze, and half the world would starve.
The shipping industry is also responsible for a significant proportion of the global climate change crisis, and therefore a substantial proportion of the solutions that are so urgently needed. More than three percent of global carbon dioxide emissions can be attributed to ocean-going ships. This is an amount comparable to major carbon-emitting countries.
Following a decade of rapid growth, StratumFive now services in excess of 12,000 vessels. As a leading maritime tech company, we therefore have a key part to play in unlocking every possible efficiency, reducing fuel consumption and lowering vessel emissions through digital innovation – epitomised by our groundbreaking new ‘Podium’ platform.
StratumFive also plays a critical role in protecting the safety of seafarers, cargo, and the marine environment, by providing expert routing advisory services directly to the vessel via our new 24/7 New York meteorological operations centre.
Working in maritime is exciting, rewarding, interesting, and unlike any other industry. With the sector expected to double in size to $3trn by 2030, StratumFive are looking for the next generation of innovators and problem solvers to join our mission and take pride in helping shape the future of our planet, and this most important of industries.
About our Business and Technology
Our fast paced development team works with cutting edge technologies that solve real-world problems that include:
- interfacing with data-feeds from satellites, on-ship devices, governmental authorities
- storing and analyzing vast amounts of data (25+ million daily GPS positions)
- visualising daily global weather-data (50 GB p/ day)
- correlating datasets to provide both historic analysis as well as neartime predictions
- creating powerful and effective UI/UX that drive our platform and services
- leveraging AI/ML to improve our product and services
Job Role and Description
A perfect stepping stone for a seasoned lead developer.
You will function as the relentless driving force of the Development Team, leading in the specification, architecture, and rapid implementation of critical solutions that are both innovative and practical.
You will demonstrate executive level qualities, lead technical discussions, and direct the execution of all development work by combining technical vision, commercial awareness, and entrepreneurial spirit.
You are responsible to execute and oversee the technical design and evolution of Podium and all of StratumFive’s cloud-based services. You will be accountable for meeting deadlines, solving complex technical problems, communicating effectively with subject matter experts, customers, and our ever-growing development team.
You will implement, refine and challenge methodologies, standards, and processes to build industry-leading solutions and maintain our competitive edge and do so in a way that balances out: costs, functionality, and performance.
You will be expected to lead through example, infuse the development team with a passion for building innovative products, possess a genuine enthusiasm for all things shipping and evangelize our company’s mission of making maritime operations continually more effective, safer, and ever more efficient, with every day that passes.
- Direct a team of backend and frontend developers to ensure their code, micro-services, and APIs are aligned with the product roadmap and prescribed cloud-based architectural designs.
- Regular coordination with CTO on development roadmap and technical strategy
- Provide architecture oversight for new and existing services
- Conduct regular performance reviews of team
- Lead, mentor and evangelize cloud-native techniques and approaches to the development team.
- Implement and enhance development processes
- Work closely with the C-Suite to research and develop a multi-year plan for the company’s growth and evolution.
- Provide recommendations to the C-Suite on improvements to developmental processes and best practices
- Drive and shape recruitment of the development team to meet the requirements of the future roadmap
- Promote a “solution-driven dev culture
- 5+ years of experience functioning as lead or senior-level developer
- Hands-on development experience building services / systems in the cloud (AWS, GCP, or Azure)
- Experience with Big Data storage, high velocity queries, batch data-ingestion
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Must be excited by technology and delivering solutions that are both practical and timely.
- Continually find ways to improve development quality and pipelines
- Thrives in a fast pace environment
- Demonstrates strong aptitude for problem solving.
- Enjoys waking up every morning to tackle all of the challenges that emerge at the intersection of Maritime operations and the Cloud.
- Expected to have regular working hours compatible with UK time zone
- Be able to attend periodic meetings in UK office
- A genuine “can do” attitude
- See challenges as opportunities more than obstacles
- Believe in iteration over perfection
- Knows the virtues and trade-off of using “off-the-shelf” versus “roll-your-own”
What's in it for you?
We believe we offer an appealing work life balanced package to attract and retain the most motivated team players. Aside from a competitive salary, we also offer a range of unique additional benefits:
- Up to 35 days annual leave
- Annual personal performance bonus
- Annual company performance bonus
- Regular performance reviews
- Flexible work-location from office, home or “rome”
- Regular internal hackathon events
- Sponsored recreational holidays
- Sponsored continuous professional development
- Supported personal charitable challenges